So, how much does match.com really cost? It’s America’s most popular dating site, but they don’t make their rates and fees obvious. In summary, the longer subscriptions are cheaper per month, with the 6-month subscription being the best deal. Also, new members can use a promo code to bring the price down further, or try 7 days free.
We researched the cost match.com subscription pricing in detail, and here’s what we learned:
Match.com Cost: Subscription Prices:
Here are the costs for match.com subscriptions for the Bundle plan (recommended) when you apply the 25% off promo code. As you can see, the price per month decreases with longer subscriptions:
*Important: The lower price is locked in for the length of time that you initially commit to, and then the price is renewed at the higher (crossed out) rate.
So, for example, if you buy 6 months up front, you get the discounted monthly rate until the promotional period ends, at which time you’ll be billed the higher monthly price to renew.
Match.com Costs: Signup vs. Renewal Prices
Here are the promotional prices (at signup) and renewal prices for the match.com bundle:
|Subscription:||Signup Cost:||Renewal Cost:|
*I update these prices often, but they might fluctuate slightly. You actually have to sign-in and click “subscribe” to view today’s discount pricing info on match.com
Here’s what it looks like at checkout when you sign up for a package:
If you aren’t loving match.com, cancel before your promotional period ends, or you’ll be billed automatically for renewal when it does! See our tip below about turning off “auto-renewal.”
There are 2 subscription options: BUNDLE or BASIC:
Before joining match.com, you’ll want to understand the difference between the two subscription levels. By default you’ll be presented with match.com’s “Bundle” plan which has a few more features.
- BUNDLE Plan: You’ll get: “Email read” notifications, “First Impressions” feature, and a better, “highlighted profile”
- BASIC Plan: You can save about 10%, but it’s probably not worth it for what you give up.
Both “Bundle” and “Basic” plans include core features like the ability to search for matches and to contact other singles. Most people choose to spend the extra $2 or so per month to get the more robust Bundle plan which includes premium features like Email Read Alerts, First Impressions, and Highlighted Profile.
Tips on pricing & billing:
It’s best to do your homework before signing up for match.com. Here are some tips:
- Initial cost: You are billed a one-time amount upfront for whatever length you commit to at the lower, promotional price.
- Monthly billing: When the promotional period ends, you are billed automatically for the same period of time (3, 6, or 12 months) at a slightly higher cost.
- Tip: Turn off “auto-renewal” – To avoid unexpected costs after the promotional pricing ends, I recommend turning off auto-renewal after you signup. If you want to continue your subscription, you can turn it back on later.
- Free Trial: If you aren’t familiar with match.com, I recommend taking advantage of their free trial before joining. During your trial period, can click the “subscribe” button at any time to join. Just be sure to cancel before the 3-7 day trial ends if you don’t want to be billed.
- Cancellation: Not sold on 100% on match.com? Be sure to cancel 2 days before your subscription ends to avoid being billed for the next month
- Related: How much does Nutrisystem cost a month?
Add-Ons: Prices & Monthly Fees
If you select the BASIC plans to save a buck, match.com will present you with a number of ways to spend more money at checkout. Here are the prices for the optional add-ons:
Maybe I’m just cheap, but I always skip the premium add-ons. Take a look for yourself to decide if you want any of these options:
- Anyone can reply to your emails for free: $7.49/month
- Private mode: $7.49/month
- Email read alerts: $2.24/month
- Highlighted profile: $1.65/month
- First impressions: $1.65/month
- match Phone: $2.50/month
The Bundle plan includes Email Read Alerts, First Impressions, and Highlighted Profile, so if you are considering paying for any of these, just buy the Bundle Plan, and it will be cheaper!
The 6-month subscription is the best deal
So, you probably realized that the “Basic” plan is a joke, but so is the 1-month plan. Really, it takes most people a couple of weeks just to get established on Match.com, so who really wants to pay double (monthly cost) to only join for only a month?
The 6-month subscription seems to hit the sweet spot of the best length, and best price. If you opt for longer, you’re not saving much more (per month), and you’re committing to an awfully long time.
What if you meet your soulmate after a couple months? There’s no need to commit to a 12-month membership in my opinion, unless you are committed to not settling down any time soon!
Also, the the 6-month subscription comes with the match.com guarantee, stating that if you hven’t found someone really special in 6 months, they will credit you for another 6 months free. Yet another reason NOT to pay for a year up-front
Avoid being billed at full-price when the promotion ends: Turn OFF “auto-renewal”
If you do sign up for match.com, consider turning off auto-renewal immediately.
Otherwise, you will be billed every month at regular price (about $50!) after your discounted subscription ends.
To turn it off, click account settings, and then change/cancel membership. You can always turn auto-renew back on, but it’s less of a hassle this way.
Most of the many match.com complaints come from people who didn’t realize that match.com would bill them each month at regular price after the promotional period ends. If you’re not familiar with how it works, try the free trial, and be ready to cancel before it ends. Also, be smart, and do research (like this!) to avoid billing confusion!
- Playing Devil’s Advocate – Be smart & read: 10 things dating sites won’t tell you – marketwatch.com
- Meet someone special on match? Use our exclusive coupon for FTD flowers!
- More prices: Cost of Weight Watchers, or cost of Nutrisystem
- Buy your girlfriend flowers and use these coupons for FTD and ProFlowers!